Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Giants

In my last blog, I discussed the distinctives of Christian Camping and applied it to Wilderness Ridge and its unique ministry. I ended with a discussion of II Timothy 2:2 from the New Testament and posed the question:

What are the characteristics we want to pass on, entrust to the next generation of leaders in this particular ministry.

As I considered this, I looked to the founders of Wilderness Ridge and found some excellent examples of Traits emodied in these men which I'd love to see the Boys - and the future leaders of Wilderness Ridge - Catch.

This is given in the spirit of I Corin. 11 where Paul invites the Corinthians to “follow me as I follow Christ.”

Dwane McNabb – Faith and Vision, Courage and Boldness

Dwane as first chairman, was the one who took the initial desire of one man (Isaac Pape) to gift his land and developed with him and others the vision for the camp. Dwane as our first chairman was a get it done kind of guy surrounded by guys who were just trying to keep up. Dwane could see the next hill we needed to take plus the next 2 after that. The challenge for the board was trying to catch up with his thinking and not be anchors on the development of the camp. Dwane saw what the ministry could be and persisted in passing that vision on to others and to see it become a reality. He passed that passion on to others and the result is evident today. John 15;16 says, “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you, that you would go and bear fruit and that your fruit would remain.” Dwane's passion and vision and bold faith yielded fruit that remains.

Ken Strom – Focus and Intensity

Ken is a remarkable man. Ken is an extremely focused man. He's a detail guy. Dwane was a “take that hill guy.” Ken is a “bring your climbing shoes” guy. I've never wondered what was central to Ken's heart – and that is getting the gospel to kids and building them up in the faith. At each point that I've had the privilege of working with Ken, you never had to wonder what his mind was on. He's a one song-man. I remember countless times learning the lesson of what happens if you ask Ken whether we're still going forward with the plan. I remember camping trips to Big Bend where we're getting back into the car and looking into some dark clouds. Ken would rather go into danger that he knew than miss an opportunity to fulfill his ministry. Ken is an example to me of Paul's words in Philippians, “Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Ken exemplifies pressing on for the prize.

Ber Kletke – Faithfulness and Service

Ber gave the appearance of being a gruff guy, but served tirelessly because he loved God and he loved serving campers. Think of faithfulness; he was the guy who epitomized it. I can't remember many times being up at the camp that Ber was not there already, usually already serving in the kitchen (which at one time was a half-barrel grill, a refrigerator and an army tent), on the roof or designing a building for us (with many revisions and usually not being built the way he designed it). Ber had a heart for people and he demonstrated how to never give up on boys. Ber taught us what it meant to show up and let God use your talents. God is Faithful; God came as a servant to save us. Ber demonstrated these characteristics in his life. To extend the hill analogy, Ber was a “let me give you a hand up” kind of guy. Ber exemplifies faithfulness.

Benediction

So what is the future for Wilderness Ridge? I hope it is a continuation of its past. A focus on the reason why God established the ministry and a focus on prayer - asking Him to accomplish His purposes for Wilderness Ridge.

The future for Wilderness Ridge is strong as long as it stays true to its purpose of using the unique environment God has provided to serve His People.

I am confident the camp is in those good hands and that the ministry will continue to grow and more importantly, to be effective in reaching boys and families with the life-changing reality of Jesus Christ.

Can we do it?

I'll leave you with Jude's benediction, “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to make you stand in the presence of his glory, blameless with great joy. To the only God our Savior through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time, now and forever! Amen. ”

1 comment:

Will said...

Wow. I wish I could have heard the talk when you gave it, Dad.